Thursday, April 8, 2010

You Can't Always Get What You Want.

When designing this print(which I believe was my third) I wanted to do something that was visually stunning. This was my chance to do the "Ryman Style" poster. So I decided to incorporate one of the traditional Hatch images that I love, and wanted to do something that also embodied the spirituality, mysticism, and sexuality of the "Hendrix Experience".

I decided to base the poster around the image of the Gravy Girl with a lightning bolt over top of her. It didn't work out that way. The lightning bolt just didn't fit right. SO I changed it. Instead I used the icons of love, religion, superstition, etc. Keep the girl, but lose the bolt.Here is the image all ready to be proofed.
This is the proof. I sent it to them and they said that they already had a poster with the gravy girl on it, so they wanted a guitar instead. I was trying to be careful to stay away from images like the guitar, because it seemed like the obvious choice for a Jimi Hendrix poster to have a guitar, but the client makes the rules. So I changed it.

The end result is an amazing poster that came out very clean, and very well put together from concept to color scheme. I may be a little biased though.

No comments:

Post a Comment