Thursday, November 12, 2009

Art Is Hard...But Worth It.

So, I originally called this blog "Art is Hard", but that is misleading. It is hard, but it is totally worth it. So while looking for another clever name to change it to, I stumbled across a list of printmaking quotes...Cause thats what I do. I make prints. I am born to make prints. So maybe I will change it to that, or maybe not. Its too late to make a decision like that.

So after finding these great quotes, it turned out I had the title in my head all along. Anyway, here are the best of the quotes I found. I like the love-hate relationship that a lot of people seem to have with the art of printmaking, and also the sense of humor about their craft. That's the way life should be. Love. Hate and Jokes...But without the hate, and lots and lots of really cool art to look at.


"I go to my studio everyday because one day I may go and the angel will be there. What
if I don't go and the angel comes?"
- Phillip Guston

"Printmaking is like a man who treats you badly, but you keep coming back!"
- Jenny Mathews

"Print like a vicious dog!"
- E. C. Cunningham

Printmaking is fun because it takes a perfectly simple process like drawing and makes it
as complicated and error prone as possible."
- George Bodmer

"If you know what you're doing, you're wasting your time."
- Buckminster Fuller

Print is dead."
- Dr. Egon Spengler, Ghostbusters

"You have to be somewhere at 8 o'clock in the morning everyday of your life, you might
as well be in the print shop."
- Fred Brian, Illinois Wesleyan University

When questioned about the exact reproduction of all prints in an edition, one should
reply: "Why, are you going to buy two of them...?"
- Ken Hale

"The proof is in the proof."
submitted by E. C. Cunningham

"Printmaking is hard work."
- SIUC print studio, on a sign, in red, white, and blue, with USA map
submitted by Ray Noelle

"Printmaking rocks."
- origin disputed, Millikin University, ca. 2001, as a result of listening to the
Stooges while printmaking
submitted by Ray Noelle

1 comment:

  1. Print is dead."
    - Dr. Egon Spengler, Ghostbusters


    lol thank you for this ..i always loved this quote from that movie.

    ReplyDelete