Thursday, March 24, 2011

Folk Modern


Over the course of the past year or so I have been tossing an idea around in my head but I wasn't quite sure what it was for. In a way it felt like an artist statement, like I was trying to create a new art movement. At first I called it Neo-Folk, and eventually it turned into folk-modernism.

Folk-modernism was a play on post-modernism. The idea being that it was supposed to be "The New Folk". Digital art was becoming more prevalent, and we were entering the information age where the phrase "Print is dead" became true in some extents with books, magazines, and physical cd packaging becoming obsolete. As a reaction to this Folk-modernism was about using these obsolete technologies and ideas to create contemporary work.

It was about people enjoying the communal aspects of print as opposed to the cold humanity-less digital printing.

It was about printmaking as an experience.

It was about making something with your hands that other people would want to touch with their hands.

It was probably something that I would never have tried to sell as an art movement (how pretentious?).

So instead, I kept it to myself, made little doodles here and there and applied to grad school, but did not mention this. Then grad school didn't happen, and I turned 29. I realized that I didn't have a whole lot of options. I couldn't find a job that I liked, or one that would hire me, and I felt like all I did was work retail. I told myself that retail was not my destiny, but maybe it is, I just need to be my own boss and make things that I care about.

I have been telling people for years now that I either want to be a teacher or own my own print shop. So now I am going to try my hand at the whole eBay, Etsy thing and see how that goes.

I will get my home screenprinting set up going, sell some of my art prints, hopefully take on more commissions, and sell some vintage clothing too. Essentially, I hope to build up enough of a presence under the name Folk Modern, so that I eventually make enough money to make it a real life store and pay taxes and everything! You can check out the facebook page right now and "Like" it if you want! Hopefully some more stuff will be coming soon! FOLK MODERN ON FACEBOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment